There are times when a person feels that he or she will never be happy again. This often happens after a personal trauma such as the death of a loved one, loss of a job, or being victimized in a violent crime. The person experiences hopelessness, despondency and depression. Although this emotional crisis goes away, the length of time it takes to get over it varies from individual to individual. Sometimes it only takes minutes but in other cases it takes months or even years.
A person who is well-equipped with coping and recovery skills would be able to return to a normal emotional state faster than someone who does not know how to properly handle pain. There are many people who are afraid to face it because they are scared that it would lead to a kind of agony that may never end. Then there are also those who are not ready to admit that their problems have become unsolvable.
The good news is that there is hope. Emotional pain can be successfully dealt with but pharmaceutical companies do not want people to know how to do it. What they want is for them to just pop anti-depressant or anti-anxiety pills.
Physical exercise is a great way to deal with emotional pain. It is even said that it may be a way to achieve true happiness. Although medication works, exercise has been proven to be just as, if not even more effective for people who are struggling with depression without experiencing the side-effects such as sexual dysfunction, suicidal thinking and difficulty in sleeping.
Going to a psychotherapist is another option. A good therapist can help you explore the reasons why you have not been living a fulfilling life. Through skilled questioning, a therapist can lead you to gain new insights, guide and assist you as you go through the pain and teach you how to love yourself.
Before you start taking any medication or go through therapy sessions, it would be a good idea to first give exercise a try. If you are doing it for the first time, or if you haven’t had any exercise for a long time, make sure to get your physician’s approval before you start working out.
Below are seven ways by which exercise can boost your sense of happiness:
1. Exercise will open your eyes to a different world and it can change your life forever.
2. Exercise will tone your body. With your physique tight and firm, you will feel confident and happy about the way you look.
3. During exercise, chemical changes take place in the brain which creates a calming feeling.
4. After completing your exercise routine you will experience a feeling of accomplishment which will in turn boost your self-esteem.
5. Exercise can be a healthy and excellent way of focusing your attention away from your emotional pain. Physical activity done at a certain intensity can give you an adrenalin rush which can be a very pleasant and happy feeling, albeit only temporarily. Furthermore, exercise can also be a means of facing your emotional pain because your increased confidence will enable you to handle your internal troubles in a bold, self-assured manner.
6. Exercise in itself has always been known to improve depression and anxiety.
7. Exercise does not only stimulate the muscles but the brain as well. It has been proven to make people smarter therefore making if you workout, it will be easier for you to develop the skills you need to heal emotionally and experience genuine happiness.
Related Diet & Exercise Articles